ITK Release 4/Licensing
- On January 2010
- The board of the Insight Software Consortium (ISC)
- voted for changing the license of
- The Insight Software Toolkit
The board voted to make the change effective starting with ITK version 4.0, and leave previous versions of ITK to maintain the license under which they were originally released.
The method for applying the license to the toolkit was also modified in order to match the recommended practices of the Apache Foundation
- A file named LICENSE is now at the top of the ITK source tree, containing the verbatim text of the Apache 2.0 License.
- A file named NOTICE is now at the top of the ITK source tree, containing a manifesto of the copyright and licenses of third party files that are distributed along with the toolkit, and/or section of code that have been integrated with the ITK toolkit.
- For example, the copyright notice and license of: VTK, VXL, TargetJr, libjpeg, libpng.