ITK Release 5/Wish List
The wish list is provided by members of the ITK development community. These requests will not necessarily be included in ITKv5.
- Replacing current integer pixel IO types defined in itk::ImageIOBase by fixed width integer types
- unsigned char -> uint8_t
- char -> int8_t
- unsigned short -> uint16_t
- short -> int16_t
- unsigned int -> uint32_t
- int -> int32_t
- unsigned long -> uint64_t
- long -> int64_t
- Currently, the size of each type may vary from one platform to another.
- This is especially try for 'long' that is 32 bits on Windows/Visual Studio C++ 2013 (64 bits) but 64 bits on 64 bits Unix systems.
- Files saved on one platform should be read the same on a different platform.
- This would avoid having to compare `sizeof(mytype)` to know what type to use on a specific platform.
- This issue was raised in this patch suggestion
As ITK uses templates heavily, it would greatly benefit from usage of few C++11 goodies, especially auto and decltype.
Replace VNL by Eigen, which is much more modern.