Proposals:Dropping Support for Visual Studio 6.0
From KitwarePublicJump to navigationJump to search
It has been suggested that ITK should drop support of the Visual Studio 6.0 compiler.
Real world issues
Visual Studio 6 is the most recurrent compiler insight-developers have to cope with:
- Lack of support for template partial specialization
- The compiler is about 10 years old
- It is out the market (Microsoft doesn't sell it anymore)
Please add your opinions here:
In Favor of Dropping Support
- Hans Johnson: My vote has stayed the same for many years now. I think that the need to support partial specialization is critical for future of ITK. Dropping support for VS6 will allow us to move the toolkit forward.
- Alex. Gouaillard
- Gert Wollny (I filed the bug report)
- Brian Gee Chacko
- Mathieu Malaterre: ITK community should focus on writing algorithm, and not on supporting broken compiler (VS7.1, VS 2005 & VS 2008 are even free of charge).
- Tom Vercauteren
- Rashindra Manniesing
- David Witten
- Marcel Koek
- Marius Staring
Against Dropping Support
- Bill Lorensen: Partial specialization can be implemented in Visual Studio 6; see itkImageTransformHelper.h
- Comment (Gert Wollny): No, the example shows function (template) overloading and not partial template specialization - compare e.g. D. Vandevoorde and N. M. Josuttis "C++ Templates" pp.179-204.