|(3 intermediate revisions by 3 users not shown)|
is a mature tool with many features, both big and small. Many go unnoticed or are taken for granted. Help us create a comprehensive list of features that make CMake really cool. Please list your addition under the appropriate package: CMake, CTest, or CPack.
== CMake Features ==
* Color output for make
* Progress output for make
* Incremental linking support with vs 8,9 and manifests
* Auto-rerun of cmake if any cmake input files change (works with vs 8, 9 using ide macros)
* Auto depend information for C++, C, and Fortran
** [ http:// graphviz. org/ Graphviz] output for visualizing dependency trees
* Full support for library versions
* Full cross platform install system.
* Generate project files for major IDEs: Visual Studio, Xcode, Eclipse, KDevelop
** not tied to make, other [http:// portablegeneratorsforsale.net/ portable generators] like ant possible
* Ability to add custom rules and targets
* Compute link depend information, and chaining of dependent libraries
* Works with parallel make and is fast, can build very large projects like KDE on build farms
* make help, make foo.s, make foo.E, VERBOSE=1 make PROJECT/ fast
* Advanced RPATH handling, full support for all kinds of static/ shared libs and plugins, no more cryptic foo.la libtool "libraries"
* support for chrpath, i.e. changing the RPATH without need to actually link again
* Works on many host operating systems (a full list would be good)
* Supports many toolchains: GNU, MS, Borland, Sun, also e.g sdcc
* Beta cross compiling, to Linux, Windows, eCos, supercomputers, no OS, from 8bit uCs to 64bit CPUs
* Full dependencies: build a target in some directory, and everything this target depends on will be up to date
* Extensive test suite and nightly builds/ test on many platforms
* modular design (e.g. the Find modules, language, toolchain and OS support files) * > easily extendable
* just one tool instead of automake+autoconf+libtool+m4+shell+make
* Good scripting language that supports:
** control structures (conditional, iterative)
** regular expressions, eliminating need for grep+awk+sed+perl
** macros (similar to functions, with counted or vararg parameters)
** portable commands for file and directory manipulation
* Extensive auxiliary cmake modules for finding and simplifying use of popular libraries (boost, sdl, fltk, etc.) and utilities (swig, etc).
* Comes with a GUI layer for easy edition of input variables, both Curses and QT based options.
* Command line support.
* it's a native tool, windows devs don't have to deal with POSIX shells, OSX devs can continue to use XCode
* .tar.gz archiving available on all platforms. No need to chase down tar/ gzip for Windows.
* can create OSX library frameworks
* can create OSX application bundles
* scales well for really, really big projects like KDE
== CTest Features ==
* Run all or sub- sets of tests for a project
* Submit testing results to Dart 1,2 and CDash
* Run tests that build and run -- build-and-test command
* support coverage with gcc, and bullseye coverage tools
* support memory checking with valgrind, purify, and bounds checker
== CPack Features ==
* Simple Declarative creation of packages/installers using CMake+CPack
* Create Source or Binary packages
* A wealth of supported formats:
** Create professional windows installers with [http://nsis.sourceforge.net/Main_Page NSIS]
** Create tar.gz tar.Z on any platform
** Create self extracting tar.gz .sh files
** Create rpm
** Create Debian . deb files
** Create Cygwin setup packages