SimpleITK/GettingStarted/Visual guide to building on Linux
This guide gives detailed instructions for building SimpleITK on Linux. It is written for beginners getting started with SimpleITK.
- Linux is freely available
- It has all the required tools
- Did I mention it is free?
Step 1: Get Linux
The first step is to install a Linux distribution. Some popular ones are:
There are many online tutorials explaining how to install your chosen Linux distribution:
If you are a Windows user, you may consider running Linux on a virtual machine. Some popular virtual machine environments are:
Again, there are heaps of tutorials:
- Installing Ubuntu inside Windows using VirtualBox
- How to Install Ubuntu on VirtualBox
- Install Linux Mint 12 in VirutalBox
- How to Install Linux Mint in Virtualbox (youtube)
This guide uses Linux Mint 12, but the steps are very similar for other Linux distributions.
Step 2: Install build tools
The next step is to install the required build tools.