Difference between revisions of "SimpleITK/Survey 1"
From KitwarePublicJump to navigationJump to search
Revision as of 11:00, 9 December 2011
- Opening Statement
- What is ITK: The Insight Toolkit (ITK) is an open-source, cross-platform system that provides developers with an extensive suite of software tools for image analysis. Developed through extreme programming methodologies over the past 10+ years, ITK employs leading-edge algorithms for registering and segmenting multi-dimensional data. See http://www.itk.org for more details.
- Why SimpleITK: The Insight community wants to make the toolkit easier to learn and use. With this in mind a working group has been formed to create "SimpleITK": a layer of abstraction around core ITK functionality accessible from your favorite programming/scripting language(s).
- Why we need you to answer these questions: Please answer the following survey to help make SimpleITK what you -- and other professionals -- really need.
- Introductory questions
- In what domain do you work? (eg. radiology, surgery, astronomy, manufacturing)
- Have you previously used ITK? yes/no. If yes, for how many years?
- Have you used the pipeline feature of ITK (how useful? Easy to use? How understandable?)
- Have you used the streaming feature of ITK (how useful? Easy to use? How understandable?)
- What is your preferred programming language(s)
- What programming tools do you use
- Image Magick
- Boost Generic Image Library (GIL)
- What type of programmer are you (EDIT)
- Small App
- Large App
- Body Questions
- Do you need to process images that are larger than RAM
- How many dimensions do you need for your images (eg. 1, 2, 3, 3+t, etc)
- How important are color images to you
- How important are these pixel types to you
- ... options ...
- Make sure to include RGB
- What other tools / APIs would you want adapters for [simple example]
- How important is:
- One line registration calls
- Customize registration options (metric, optimizer, interpolation...)
- What functions of ITK are you most interested in?
- Registration (deformable, image-to-image, model-to-image)
- Segmentation (level sets, etc...)
- Convert images
- Simple image manipulation (filtering)
- What programming style do you prefer
- procedural [simple Gaussian filter example]
- object oriented
- How important is it to have a pipeline system?
- Simplicity -vs- Performance relative importance
- Target devices
- Preferred operating system
- How long it takes to build SimpleITK (how important)
- Comfort with compiling
- Binary distribution (careful phrasing... ready-to-use download vs source code compilation)
- Closing Questions
- What image processing functionality do you find most important in a toolkit (future wishlist)?
Ask someone from each community to forward the survey. Host on Insight Software Consortium
- ITK Users list
- VTK Users List
- SIM [Jesus]
- Microscopy [Sean Megason]
- MICCAI workshop
- Orfeo (remote sensing)
- UNC MIDAG group
- IEEE medical image list (biomedical image society, image processing society) [Stephen]
- LinkedIn groups
- ITK Users List
- Xenios Papademetris - Yale University
- Orfeo toolbox
- C++ Users on LinkedIn
- R imaging group
- VTK devs/users
- UNC Medical Imaging
- UNC Computer Vision
- Image World
Where to take it
Take the survey at
Current Survey Results