Difference between revisions of "VTK/ARB/Meetings/January 2010"
From KitwarePublicJump to navigationJump to search
|Line 10:||Line 10:|
Latest revision as of 19:01, 14 January 2010
- Review action items from last meeting.
- Berk will deprecate compilers.
- Berk will write a Git whitepaper.
- Will will write email about ARB to community.
- Examples in VTK.
- Use of std:: in VTK.
- The role of topic leads. (VTK/Managing the Development Process)
- We should have a document that describes the support level of compilers, much like Qt has.
- We need to revisit the supported compiler list after each release.
- There will likely be a release of VTK (5.6) in March 2010.
VTK and git
- There is now a wiki page describing how people would use git.
- VTK will move to git in the coming two or three months.
Communicating to community
- We should finalize roles and responsibilities, then communicate to the community.
Examples in VTK
- There are now over 100 examples on the VTK wiki.
- Will they all go to VTK? Will there be a separate examples repository?
Use of std::
- Currently there is a commit check in VTK to disallow any use of std namespace.
- We will experiment without the std:: commit check to see if supported compilers can handle it.
The role of topic leads
- Topic leads would have ownership and responsibility over parts of VTK.
- VTK needs a development process. This will evolve with the move to git.
- The wiki needs major cleanup and simplification.
- Kitware will continue work on move to git.
- Bill will investigate the organization of examples/tutorials into VTK or other repositories.
- Brad King will remove the commit check of std, and Bill will test out what happens if you use it in examples.
Discussion on the scope of VTK
- Should we work on modularization, glue code to other toolkits?
- Titan (VTK + informatics) and it's new repository could test out some ideas.