VTK/ARB Notes/July 2015
From KitwarePublicJump to navigationJump to search
July 9, 2015
- Remote modules (Lorensen)
- generally how to increase community engagement
- description of remotes mechanism which is the simple insertion of a file in the Remotes subdirectory which specifies location and git tag. The build process pulls down the repository and builds ir. An adaptation of ITK's approach.
- Works in progress / Cool new features
- VTK-m description by Ken Moreland: efficient support for many- multi-core devices and libraries.
- Zero-Copy, data model updates (Geveci) to reduce memory costs and couple with simulation and other external data structures.
- Python 3.0 support (Gobbi, others) which is being worked on now. David will focus on v3.2 to take advantage of new VTK features.
- VTK Maintenance - OpenGL2 and interaction efforts (Geveci,Schroeder). Need to go beyond the basic VTK rendering architecture and extend it towards extensible OpenGL support.
- Parallel efforts (vtkSMPTools, OpenMP, etc) (Schroeder,Geveci)
- Release schedule
- Philosophical arguments: Backward compatibility & aggressive release schedule
- v6.3 - next 1-2 weeks
- v7.0 - about a month after v6.3