[ITK Community] [Insight-users] ITK level set framework, access to other interpolators and other members

jmerkow jmerkow at gmail.com
Thu Nov 14 16:56:18 EST 2013

Hello,

I am working on a new level set image filter that uses an additional image
that s derived from the feature image. Right now, I have my
LevelSetImageFilter and LevelSetFunction inheriting from the
SegmentationLevelSetImageFilter/Function like the the other filters in ITK,
then I am creating a new private variable in the LSfunction, along with
getters/setters, Allocate, and Calculate.  This process was modeled after
the advection image.  I am having some issues with this and wanted to get
some advice.

1) The Vector Interpolator isn't accessible in the derived class
(inheritance must be set to public, correct?)
I created a new Interpolator, for my image, I am not sure exactly how the
interpolators work in ITK.  But I assumed that Interpolators follow the same
'pipeline' scheme as the rest of itk, so I would need a new interpolator
anyway.

2) I cannot call this->GetSegmenationFunction()->Allocate_New_Image() and
this->GetSegmenationFunction()->Calculate_New_Image() in generate data
(obviously) because this is cast as the parent class (SegmentationFunction)
which does not have that method.

To accomplish this task, I figured I would create a new
SegmentationImageFilter-like class that inherits from
SparseFieldLevelSetImageFilter, which will be nearly identical to
SegmentationImageFilter except I will add the virtual methods I need then
inherit from that in my derived class.  Is this how this is typically
accomplished in the ITK framework? I may introduce narrowband methods in the
future, so I want to  keep refactoring in mind as well.

-Jameson