[ITK Community] questions about deformation field composition and comparison

Gavin Ubuntu gbuntu127 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 11 17:44:53 EST 2014

Matt,

Thank you for your help.

1. I have checked out the CompositeTransform code, however, I can not find
where the problem is treated. I am trying to understand how deformation at
out of bound locations are treated. My current solution is:

        T2(T1(x)) = T2(T1(x)),    if T1(x) within dimension of T2
        T2(T1(x)) = T1(x),          if T1(x) is out of dimension of T2

Assuming the dimension of T2 is the image size. My current problem is that
discontinuity happens at locations where T1(x) out of dimension in the
final composited deformation field

2. Yes, I am comparing the displacement field directly. My problem here is
also with the out of bound displacements. |T1-T2| will be large if there is
some locations in T2 has large out of bound displacements. My question is
whether these out of bound displacement should be reduced in their
contribution to the displacement error. Because the out of bound
displacement does not affect the re-sampled image.

I have not done much work in this area, please excuse for inaccuracy in my
questions.

Please let me know if you have further comment. Thank you for your time.

Best Regards,
Gavin