[ITK Community] Support for different python versions

Brian Helba brian.helba at kitware.com
Fri Feb 14 12:05:40 EST 2014

Hi Michka,

In my own opinion, it's objectively quite unreasonable to support Python
2.5 at this point, and 2.4 should be absolutely out of consideration (it
doesn't even have the 'with' statement). Nevertheless, it all depends on
our users. We support C++ compilers that are older too (Python 2.5 was
released September 2006), but of course Python is free to upgrade.

I've found the general advice [1] on the Python site to be good, and it's
what I've followed when porting other code to Python 3 myself.

[1] http://docs.python.org/dev/howto/pyporting.html

Best,
Brian

On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 10:43 AM, Michka Popoff <michkapopoff at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am currently cleaning up the python code in ITK (pep8 cleanup and
> removing some old deprecated stuff).
> I wanted to know what versions of python would we like to support? I found
> some compatibility code going back to python 2.3.
>
> My proposition is to support 2.7.x and 2.6.x officially, which should not
> be too difficult.
>
> I will possibly look for python 3 compatibility in the next months, as
> swig seems to support python 3. (I hope this is feasible without too much
> pain)
> If anyone has some knowledge about maintaining code with python 2/3
> compatibility, any piece of advice is welcome.
>
> Any thoughts on this?

Brian Helba
Medical Imaging
Kitware, Inc.