[ITK Community] Announcement: VTK 6.0 and ITK 4.5 Python binaries for OS X

Michka Popoff michkapopoff at gmail.com
Tue Jan 14 16:00:52 EST 2014

Hi

I have good news for Mac users wishing to use ITK with Python wrappings. I made binaries of VTK 6.0 and ITK 4.5, linked against Python 2.7.6, for OS X 10.7, 10.8, and 10.9 !

Building VTK and ITK with Python for Mac is a long process. This project enables you to install these libraries in a few seconds.
The installation goes through homebrew (http://brew.sh). The binaries are hosted on Sourceforge.

The project's page : https://github.com/iMichka/homebrew-MacVTKITKPythonBottles
There are some explanations on the main page if you want to learn more.

The installation is as easy as (once you installed homebrew) :

brew install python
brew tap iMichka/homebrew-MacVTKITKPythonBottles
brew install iMichka/MacVTKITKPythonBottles/vtk
brew install iMichka/MacVTKITKPythonBottles/insighttoolkit

I will keep the binaries updated, so if you use the brew update and brew upgrade commands, you will benefit from updated binaries immediately after I update them.

Feel free to give me some feedback.

--

Michka Popoff
Ph.D. Student