[ITK] Improving Remote Module file format

Matt McCormick matt.mccormick at kitware.com
Wed Mar 19 22:09:51 EDT 2014

Hi,

I would like to propose improving the Remote Module file format and
get some feedback.

Currently, the file is a short direct call to a CMake function with
some basic parameters [1].

Learning from what has been done with the Slicer Extension Index [2],
I propose we separate the data cleanly, then call the CMake function
on the data.  The format could be simple INI-style key-value pairs, so
it can be parsed easily with CMake and other programming languages.

This would make it easier to know what fields are expected.  It would
also allow other programming languages to parse the file for the
purposes of making a web page listing, other clients, etc.

Fields could be:

  name
  description
  documentation_url