[ITK Community] Windows TIFF size limit

Gib Bogle g.bogle at auckland.ac.nz
Thu Mar 6 22:25:42 EST 2014

Thanks.  I have tracked down the reason for the crash reading this compressed tiff in Windows.  The compression is DEFLATE (AKA ZIP).  The function TIFFReaderInternal::CanRead() in itkTIFFImageIO.cxx checks for COMPRESSION_NONE, COMPRESSION_PACKBITS and COMPRESSION_LZW, although COMPRESSION_DEFLATE is covered elsewhere in the code.  I added this line:
|| this->m_compression == COMPRESSION_DEFLATE
and now the read proceeds successfully, as far as I can tell, and my program creates an uncompressed 4.5GB file.   This is progress!

Unfortunately the file that is created does not identify itself as a valid TIFF.
Irfanview says: Decode error!  Invalid or unsupported TIF file.
When I try to read it with ITK, the message is:
File: ...itkImageFileReader.hxx
Line: 143
Tried to create one of the following:
JPEGImageIO
TIFFImageIO
You probably failed to set a file suffix, or set the suffix to an unsupported type.

Well, the suffix is obviously correct, so there is another problem with the file.

The saga continues...

Gib