[ITK Community] [Insight-developers] Stripping Libraries on OSX

Bradley Lowekamp blowekamp at mail.nih.gov
Mon Mar 10 09:57:11 EDT 2014

Thanks you very much for the info.

So this is the patch I came up with for SimpleITK:

https://github.com/SimpleITK/SimpleITK/commit/8fa9c0f196d2d827aff17404c5be94674ae1892a

I am only stripping the SWIG generated wrapped libraries, because the common SimpleITK libraries are cmake installable.

The current 0.8rc2 builds are built with just the strip flag "-x". This reduced the the number of symbols listed by nm form ~500,000 to ~5,000 saving almost 100Mb from the library size and about 25% of the binary download.

I am pondering just using more aggressive stripping to remove all of them.

Thanks,
Brad