[ITK Community] Support for different python versions

Brian Helba brian.helba at kitware.com
Tue Mar 11 20:10:59 EDT 2014

> As this was merged in release, we will see when ITK 4.5.2 is released how
> many people ask to get python 2.5 back.
> Or perhaps we should have a deprecation message saying python 2.5 support
> will be gone for ITK 4.6 ?

+1 for the message.

I think time is best spent getting 2.7, 2.6, 3.3, 3.2, 2.5, ... green in
> that order.

Indeed. Perhaps it goes without saying, but with limited resources, I think
its much better to focus support on Python 3+, rather than use this effort
on obsolete versions < 2.6. Barring an uprising of outrage from the ITK
community, I think its more reasonable to ask people to upgrade for free
rather than not have adequate support for the future's technologies, which
hurts the toolkit even worse in the long run.

Also note that SimpleITK is not testing Py2.5 either [1].

[1] http://open.cdash.org/index.php?project=SimpleITK

Brian