[ITK Community] Isolating 3d touching regions

Emiliano Pastorelli emiliano.pastorelli at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 08:46:06 EDT 2014

Hi All,

i'm quite new to ITK, and i'm trying to manipulate a 3d volume image
representing some fibres floating in a block of concrete. Due to the
scanning inaccuracies, some of them actually seem to "touch", also when
they wouldn't be touching in the real dataset.

I tried to separate them in every way, through the Frangi Vesselness
filters, and another bunch of attempts, but i don't seem to find a way
to do it reasonably quickly and smartly.

http://www.kyb3.org/images/touchingFibres.png

in the picture, exactly in the center you see an example of how the
touching area usually looks like (the dataset is already divide in
labeled regions as label map as well).
I am pretty sure that some filter can do that, but for example i was
taking a look at the connectedthresholdimagefilter and i couldn't really
figure out if that's what i need, and in that case how i shall use the
seeds (my software shall become flexible enough to deal with really
similar in shapes but different in distribution, alignment and contact
points datasets).

Does anybody have any idea that might spare me another couple of endless
days like the last ones?

Thanks in advance,
Emiliano