[ITK Community] [Insight-users] Working with big dataset.

Bradley Lowekamp blowekamp at mail.nih.gov
Thu Mar 13 07:53:53 EDT 2014

Hello,

For IO streaming to work the ImageIO you are using needs to support it. File formats which are supported for stream reading include MetaIO (mha,mhd), VTK, MRC, SCFIO, NIFTI, HDF5 and the SeriesReader. So RAW files are not supported for streaming. Further more RAW, is very much not recommended because it's missing the meta-data.

You can use the mhd/mha file format for full streaming for reading and writing. Additionally you can use you same raw file too! What you need to do is write a mhd header file, which is well described here[1].  The mhd file will contain a description of the raw file, what you now have hard coded. If you specify the output file with an "mhd", extension an mhd and a raw file will be created. Doing it this way you will not need to specify the ImageIO for the reader or writer, and the ITK ImageIOFactory will choose the correct one.

Hope that helps,
Brad

[1] http://www.itk.org/Wiki/ITK/MetaIO/Documentation