[ITK Community] Integrating ITK into our own SDK

Matt McCormick matt.mccormick at kitware.com
Thu Mar 13 14:32:23 EDT 2014

Hi Mike,

On Thu, Mar 13, 2014 at 1:09 PM, Michael Jackson <
mike.jackson at bluequartz.net> wrote:

> Thanks for the example. The thing I don't like about
> "ExternalProject_Add()" is that if you do a "Rebuild" of your project then
> you are also rebuilding ITK which takes a while.

This is not necessary; it is possible to open the Visual Studio solution
for just your project instead of the solution file for the entire
superbuild.

>  But even the script that you linked to _assumes_ that one has built ITK
> but NOT done an actual install. Because when ITK is installed there are no
> longer any "Debug/Release" directories but just the normal bin, lib,
> include, share directories

I think this is the most common usage.

> So even if I build ITK in the final build location, zip up the
> installation and include that in my SDK installation it will still be wrong
> because all the *.cmake files will be pointing to some other potentially
> nonexistent location because the end developer and I need to install ITK in
> different locations.

Yes, at the moment, an install only supports one build configuration.

> In ITK's cmake files is there a macro or function that was written to wrap
> the add_library() call by chance? That would be convenient to just simply
> update that one macro/function with a _debug tag for debug libraries.

This is no wrapper for add_library currently.