[ITK Community] Compiling with system libopenjpeg

Matt McCormick matt.mccormick at kitware.com
Mon Mar 17 17:22:11 EDT 2014

On Mon, Mar 17, 2014 at 5:07 PM, Derek Magee <D.R.Magee at leeds.ac.uk> wrote:

> So, the answer is "no you can't" I think, which leads me on to two more
> questions:

"Yes, you can!".  :-).  It may take a little effort, though...

> 1)      My current workaround is to manually remove itkopenjpeg from the
> linker by modifying my CMake thus:
>

> message("ITK Libs: ${ITK_LIBRARIES}")
>

> #target_link_libraries(IServer ${ITK_LIBRARIES})
>

> target_link_libraries(IServer "what is printed out, but removing
>  itkopenjpeg")
>

> As I know if I don't do this it causes openslide (which uses the system
> openjpeg) to crash, I'm assuming the reverse is true for ITK. Does anyone
> know what functionality uses openjpeg/jpeg2000? (i.e. what file formats to
> avoid for now!)

GDCM Image IO uses openjpeg/jpeg2000.  You can manually specify the ITK
modules needed and exclude GDCM [1].

> 2)      Is this an issue with openslide or ITK? ("The current version of
> OpenJPEG needs to updated to be closer to upstream" is a bit ambiguous and
> could mean a) ITK only works with (an) old version(s) of openjpeg, b) ITK
> works with a hacked version of openjpeg, c) Something needs updating in
> openjpeg as it is "broken" ). And, should I raise an issue with the
> appropriate developers? (If so how?)

ITK works with an old, hacked version of OpenJPEG.  Brian Helba (in CC) is
working on updating the version and going towards vanilla upstream.
 Collaboration with him would be the best long term solution.

[1]   http://www.kitware.com/blog/home/post/557