[ITK] [ITK-dev] [ITK Community] [Insight-developers] non-deterministic v4 registrations in 4.5.x

Simon Alexander skalexander at gmail.com
Mon Mar 31 10:12:00 EDT 2014

Hi Matt,

As noted in previous msg, the magnitude of the divergence doesn't' seem to
be very large on typical usage patterns, so from a practical point of view
it might be better to bound it, but I haven't done a very careful analysis
yet.

The most straightforward way to avoid this sort of thing is to always do
the sum the same way regardless of the number of threads. Simplest approach
to that is accumulating all the constituents into a (stably) ordered data
structure and performing the sum at the end.  Of course, this costs you
both the memory and the transaction costs, which may not be acceptable. On
the other hand, with enough elements you'll want some partitioning anyway
for accuracy, but this is best determined by the data range, not the number
of threads.

Most of the other methods I've used to avoid or mitigate this in the past
require detailed analysis of local computation and bounding the error at
each step, so you can safely truncate the final result to known digits, and
regardless of order the final estimate will be identical.  You can
sometimes avoid any speed or space costs this way, but it's fiddly work and
has to be reevaluated with any change.

On Sun, Mar 30, 2014 at 10:07 AM, Matt McCormick <matt.mccormick at kitware.com