[ITK] [ITK-users] Mini-pipeline filters don't obey SetNumberOfThreads()

Joël Schaerer joel.schaerer at laposte.net
Thu Nov 6 05:47:49 EST 2014

Hi all,

I have noticed that a few filters don't give exactly the same output
depending on the number of threads they are run with. While this is
unlikely to change results in a meaningful way, it makes things more
difficult to test and debug since results vary from machine to machine.
I unfortunately don't have the time to dig deeper into this, but I know
that the MattesMutualInformationMetric has this problem, and I suspect
either the NormalizeImageFilter or the MultiResolutionImagePyramid to
have it too.

This brings me to the second problem, which is that forcing the number
of threads on mini-pipeline filters such as the NormalizeImageFilter
doesn't work. That is, calling normalize_filter->SetNumberOfThreads(1)
doesn't work as expected. The reason is actually pretty simple: the
filter simply does not pass the information to the filters inside the
mini-pipeline. I believe most other mini-pipeline filters will have the
same problem.

Since the mini-pipeline filters are not accessible from outside the
class, I am left with using
itk::MultiThreader::SetGlobalMaximumNumberOfThreads which is of course
not very satisfactory.

I don't see how to fix the problem without calling SetNumberOfThreads on
each mini-pipline filter... Hopefully someone will have a better idea!

Joel