[ITK] [ITK-users] Proper chaining of filters

Matt McCormick matt.mccormick at kitware.com
Thu Oct 2 10:16:08 EDT 2014

Hi Joël,

Calling

  temp->SetInput(dilate->GetOutput());

Connects the DataObject generated by dilate to the temp filter.  temp
does not increment dilate's reference count, and it would be difficult
to do since the SetInput input is the DataObject, not the
ProcessObject.

As a consequence, at least one SmartPointer needs to be kept in scope
as with your second example.

HTH,
Matt