[ITK] ITK -- Transform an image with a change of coordinates

Gaetano Esposito gaetano.esposito at outlook.com
Tue Oct 14 18:23:07 EDT 2014

Hello,
I apologize in advance for using a vague language, but I just started to play with image processing and segmentation.
Given an image, I would like to define an arbitrary origin, get the coordinates of every pixel from Cartesian (x,y) to polar(rho, theta), and then create a new image whose x axis is "rho" and whose y axis is "theta". In other words, I would like to map a circular image in Cartesian Coordinates to a periodic  line in polar coordinates.
I am a little confused about how I would achieve this in ITK. I believe that I can take advantage of a couple of Transform based Polar-Cartesian algorithms out there, some of them published on the Insight Journal. The transform typically seems to act on a single point.
Is using a transform the right approach? If yes, once I have the correct transform from Cartesian to Polar, how do I create the "polar" image that I am seeking?
Thanks for your feedback,
Gaetano