[ITK] [ITK-dev] CMake test macro for standard streaming behavior

Bradley Lowekamp blowekamp at mail.nih.gov
Wed Sep 3 14:38:29 EDT 2014

Hello,

In ITK 3.20 there was a macro to test  the expected behavior of ImageIOs when streaming. It was defined here:
https://github.com/InsightSoftwareConsortium/ITK/blob/v3.20.1/Testing/Code/IO/CMakeLists.txt#L406-L470

The intention of this code block was to reuse this sequence for tests for different file formats. ( I thought it was working for VTK and MRC file formats too, but I think that didn't happen when integrating from the IJ ).

I wish to create a new and improved version of this macro ( or function ) to help test the HDF5 streaming contributions to ensure it's behavior matches that of the other ImageIOs.  The issues are:

1) Where can "common" cmake testing code go so that other modules can use it?
2) Dependencies with modules and test drivers. It appears that I can call the ImageIOBaseTestDriver from other modules i.e. mha and HDF5. Any problem with this?
3) ImageIO registration - Currently I can just add additional dependencies to the TestingKernel to ensure that the HDF5 imageIO is registered everywhere. Is there any other better alternative?

Thanks,
Brad

p.s.
Alternatively, the test could be refactored to include the different states internally, as opposed to defined in cmake code. But I don't think it should be hard to get the cmake stuff working...