[ITK] Fwd: FEM registration, minimal working example

Luigi Riba ribaluigi at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 03:33:07 EDT 2015

Hello everybody,

I am trying to set up a minimal working example using
itkFEMRegistrationFilte
<http://www.itk.org/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1fem_1_1FEMRegistrationFilter.html#a62cec3e4481ea425046e6e2d9f71e674>r.The
idea is to simplify DeformableRegistration1
<http://www.itk.org/Doxygen/html/Examples_2RegistrationITKv4_2DeformableRegistration1_8cxx-example.html>
.

I am using ITK 4.7.1 under Windows 7 with MinGW32 and I have read the
following documentation:

   1. ITK Software guide - Design and functionality (page 267);
   2. ITK ppt on FEM (here
   <http://www.itk.org/CourseWare/Training/NonRigidRegistrationMethods>);

Anyhow, I still do not quite understand how DeformableRegistration1 works.

   1. citing from the documentation: *"To use this filter the user will at
   a minimum set the Fixed and Moving images. If the user does not specify a
   mesh using the SetInputFEMObject()
   <http://www.itk.org/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1fem_1_1FEMRegistrationFilter.html#a4d27383fe91a76c385c3684f96a63934>
then
   a mesh will be created automatically of the appropriate type (2d=quads and
   3d=hex)."  *I have tried with no success running this code (it compiles
   but crashes):
      - registrationFilter->SetFixedImage(fixedImageReader->GetOutput());
      - registrationFilter->SetMovingImage(movingImageReader->GetOutput());
      - registrationFilter->RunRegistration();
   2. why the basic examples has to pass through image reading, image
   intensity re-scaling, image re-reading and image registration? Is this
   required to run FEM registration?
   3. is there a place where I could find more documentation and tutorials
   on FEM registration?

Thanks,

Luigi