[ITK] Win64 Visual Studio 12 segfaults

Niels Dekker niels-xtk at xs4all.nl
Mon Feb 2 09:45:57 EST 2015

Marius Staring and I have just placed three patches onto Gerrit, that
should fix both the segfaults and the internal compiler errors of Visual
Studio 2013 Win64. Each of the three patches can be committed onto the ITK
GIT master independently, but I think the segfaults patch have the highest
priority. Fortunately, it already has a "+1", thank you, Bradley!

  "BUG: workaround for 64bit VS2013 Release segfaults"
  http://review.source.kitware.com/#/c/19080/

  "COMP: workaround for 64bit VS2013 Release ICE"
  http://review.source.kitware.com/#/c/19081/

  "WIP: COMP: workaround for 64bit VS2013 Release ICEs"
  http://review.source.kitware.com/#/c/19082/

As you can see, there appear two ways to fix the ICEs (internal compiler
errors): either by some small modification of a 'for' loop (currently only
needed in "itkQuasiNewtonOptimizerv4.hxx", review 19081), or by avoiding
narrowing integer conversions, from 64-bits to 32-bits, when calling
vnl_vector::operator[] (review 19082).

The change of the parameter-type of vnl_vector::operator[] may have
implications outside of ITK as well, and it could be part of a larger
effort to improve 64-bits support, so we marked it "WIP"
(work-in-progress). However, personally I think the commit itself (review
19082) is already a step in the right direction, and clearly it already
avoids those ICE's.

Kind regards, Niels
--
Niels Dekker