[ITK] SimpleITK compatibility issues

Yaniv, Ziv Rafael (NIH/NLM/LHC) [C] zivrafael.yaniv at nih.gov
Mon Jul 27 16:24:04 EDT 2015

Hi Max,

The 0.9 SimpleITK release is compiled against the libpng1.5, so if you are using the binary from binstar you will have to use the old matplotlib.

If using the latest matplotlib is not critical for you, then the following recipe for creating a virtual environment (sitkpy) should work:

conda create -n sitkpy anaconda libpng=1.5

conda install -c https://conda.binstar.org/simpleitk/channel/main SimpleITK

conda install libpng=1.5

This (1) creates the virtual environment with our choice of libpng version, all other anaconda packages (i.e. matplotlib) will be compatible with this version; (2) install SimpleITK which will unfortunately upgrade you to libpng 1.6 (our bad) and then (3) downgrade to libpng 1.5 so that everything really works.

If you are willing to compile SimpleITK on your machine you (will always be compatible with the libpng, matplotlib,... versions you have):

If conda-build is not installed, then install it:
conda install conda-build

Get the SimpleITK conda build recipe from github:
git clone https://github.com/conda/conda-recipes.git

Build SimpleITK:
cd conda-recipes
conda-build SimpleITK