[ITK] [ITK-dev] efficiency of vnl_matrix

Jian Cheng jian.cheng.1983 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 16:07:03 EDT 2015

Hi,

My task using ITK has intensive matrix-matrix product, pseudo-inverse, etc.
Thus the performance is actually mainly determined by the matrix library
I used.
Firstly I use vnl_matrix and vnl_vector in ITK. Then I found it is very
inefficient because vnl matrix lib does not use blas and lapack.
After I wrote my own matrix class which uses openblas and lapack, I got
a hug gain of performance.

I found there is a proposal to improve the efficiency of numerical
libraries in ITK.
http://www.itk.org/Wiki/ITK/Release_4/Refactor_Numerical_Libraries
I am not sure how is the progress of the proposal.
I wonder when the vnl matrix lib can internally support blas and lapack,
or mkl, so that we can just use it without lose of the efficiency.
Thanks.

best,
Jian Cheng