[ITK] [ITK-dev] efficiency of vnl_matrix

Jian Cheng jian.cheng.1983 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 18:17:00 EDT 2015

Hi Matt,

Thanks for your help, and also for the ITK workshop in UNC last time.

It is very unfortunate. The efficiency of these numerical math operators
are very important for many applications.

I recently released an ITK based toolbox, called dmritool, for diffusion
MRI data processing.
It has some files to add some supports of blas, lapack, mkl to
vnl_matrix and vnl_vector.
http://diffusionmritool.github.io/dmritool_doxygen/utlBlas_8h_source.html
http://diffusionmritool.github.io/dmritool_doxygen/utlVNLBlas_8h_source.html

Those functions are not internally for vnl_matrix class. They are
operators for the data pointer stored in vnl_matrix object.
Thus, later I made a N-dimensional array library which internally
includes those functions, and also supports expression template to avoid
temporary copies.
http://diffusionmritool.github.io/dmritool_doxygen/utlMatrix_8h_source.html
http://diffusionmritool.github.io/dmritool_doxygen/utlVector_8h_source.html

The efficiency comparison between vnl_vector/vnl_matrix and the
vector/matrix using openblas, lapack, or mkl can be found by running
those two tests
https://github.com/DiffusionMRITool/dmritool/blob/master/Modules/HelperFunctions/test/utlVNLBlasGTest.cxx
https://github.com/DiffusionMRITool/dmritool/blob/master/Modules/HelperFunctions/test/utlVNLLapackGTest.cxx

Maybe some codes can be used as patches in somewhere in ITK. I am not
sure. Maybe we need more discussion on it.
With your help and discussion, I will be very glad to make my first
patch to ITK.
Thanks.

best,
Jian Cheng