[ITK] [ITK-dev] efficiency of vnl_matrix

Matt McCormick matt.mccormick at kitware.com
Thu Mar 12 10:41:09 EDT 2015

Hi,

>From the discussion so far, it appears the following serious of steps
could be taken to move forward on performance:

1) Replace vnl_vector and vnl_matrix with vnl_vector_fixed and
vnl_matrix_fixed when possible.

2) Add Jian Cheng's BLAS and LAPACK backends for vnl_vector and vnl_matrix.

3) Add support for armadillo or eigen.

1) and 2) will be relatively easy to make, and will hopefully have an
immediate impact on performance.  3) will take make work to happen,
and it will take longer to impact the toolkit.  We will need to have
cross-platform builds of the libraries in the repository.  Also, many
ITK classes encapsulate their use of VNL very poorly, so it will not
be as simple as swapping out or improving their backends.

2 cents,
Matt