[ITK] [ITK-dev] efficiency of vnl_matrix

Jian Cheng jian.cheng.1983 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 11:39:03 EDT 2015

Hi,

For (2), the attachment is a comparison I made.
It adds additional tests on vnl to the code from the previous link
http://nghiaho.com/?p=1726 .
Some header files can be downloaded from
https://github.com/DiffusionMRITool/dmritool/tree/master/Modules/HelperFunctions/include

Then you can build and run
// With eigen
// g++ -DTEST_EIGEN test_matrix_pseudoinverse.cpp -o
test_matrix_pseudoinverse_vnl -lopencv_core  -O3 -DNDEBUG

// With ARMA OpenBLAS
// g++ -DTEST_ARMA test_matrix_pseudoinverse.cpp -o
test_matrix_pseudoinverse -lopencv_core -larmadillo -lgomp -fopenmp
-lopenblas -O3 -DNDEBUG -DHAVE_INLINE

// with vnl
// g++ -DTEST_VNL test_matrix_pseudoinverse.cpp -o
test_matrix_pseudoinverse -lopencv_core -lvnl -lvnl_algo
-I/usr/include/vxl/core -I/usr/include/vxl/vcl -O3 -DNDEBUG
-DUTL_USE_FASTLAPACK

// with vnl + openblas
// g++ -DTEST_VNL_BLAS test_matrix_pseudoinverse.cpp -o
test_matrix_pseudoinverse -lopencv_core -lopenblas  -lvnl -lvnl_algo
-I/usr/include/vxl/core -I/usr/include/vxl/vcl -DNDEBUG  -O3
-DUTL_USE_FASTLAPACK
// with vnl + mkl
// g++ -DTEST_VNL_BLAS test_matrix_pseudoinverse.cpp -o
test_matrix_pseudoinverse -lopencv_core -lmkl_intel_lp64
-lmkl_intel_thread -lmkl_core -liomp5 -lpthread -lm  -lvnl -lvnl_algo
-I/usr/include/vxl/core -I/usr/include/vxl/vcl -O3 -DNDEBUG
-DUTL_USE_FASTLAPACK

// with utl+openblas
// g++ -DTEST_UTL test_matrix_pseudoinverse.cpp -o
test_matrix_pseudoinverse -lopencv_core -lopenblas  -lvnl -lvnl_algo
-I/usr/include/vxl/core -I/usr/include/vxl/vcl -DNDEBUG  -O3
-DUTL_USE_FASTLAPACK
// with utl + mkl;
// g++ -DTEST_UTL test_matrix_pseudoinverse.cpp -o
test_matrix_pseudoinverse -lopencv_core -lmkl_intel_lp64
-lmkl_intel_thread -lmkl_core -liomp5 -lpthread -lm  -lvnl -lvnl_algo
-I/usr/include/vxl/core -I/usr/include/vxl/vcl -DNDEBUG -O3
-DUTL_USE_FASTLAPACK

In my experiments, using blas functions from mkl is the most efficient way.

best,
Jian Cheng