[ITK] Updated Gerrit Code Review!

Matt McCormick matt.mccormick at kitware.com
Fri Mar 27 00:43:51 EDT 2015

As previously noted, we now have an updated Gerrit Code Review instance!  See

  http://review.source.kitware.com

This was a major upgrade from version 2.2.2 to version 2.10.1.

This update was required for a change in authentication mechanism. Our
Gerrit instance previously only had support for OpenID authentication.
However, Google has dropped support for OpenID.

The updated instance uses GitHub OAuth2 authentication. Community
members now login with their GitHub account [1]. If an existing user's
GitHub account has one of their email addresses registered with their
previous Gerrit account, their old Gerrit account will automatically
be associated with their GitHub login.

In the future, we will also add support for patch submission via
GitHub pull requests.

The upgraded Gerrit instance also bring brings many new features.
Here are some highlights:

- There is a new user interface. When existing users log in, they will
be presented with the option to stay with the old user interface or
migrate to the new user interface. Interface choice can be changed in
Settings -> Preferences. The new interface contains a number of
usability and presentation improvements. For example, it is now easier
to see and step through patches in a branch.

- There are now a number of ways to download a change including patch
files and archives. Note that the "Checkout" line has changed slightly
in that it checks out 'FETCH_HEAD' instead of a named branch with '-b
topic-name'. It is still possible to modify the line pasted in your
terminal by replacing 'FETCH_HEAD' with '-b topic-name'. This new
default prevents the proliferation of branches in a reviewer's
repository and it prevents confusion of new reviewers when they try to
checkout a branch with the same name as an existing branch.

- A number of new preferences are available for the diff view.

- There are many other user interface enhancements.

We have also greatly improved how our patch robots builds occur and
their capabilities. This will be discussed in another thread.

To discuss more about Gerrit and learn more about how to participate
in ITK, join us tomorrow on the Hangout [2]

[1] http://www.itk.org/Wiki/ITK/Git/Account

[2]  https://plus.google.com/u/1/events/cv779d1fdghhko68eef25a9e30c