[ITK] optimizer scales and weights

Luigi Riba ribaluigi at gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 11:50:11 EST 2015

Dear Matt,

thank you very much for the quick reply.

If I've got it correctly the scale parameters tell the optimizer in which
order of magnitude should move in every direction, while the weights are
just used in order to privilege convergence according to a certain number
of sub parameters.

I would rather ask you another question about the scales.  In the
ITK software guide "3.18.2 General heuristics for parameters" it is
suggested to  scale the translation parameters of the optimizer in he
following way
// optimizerScales[9] = 1.0 / (10 * movingSpacing[0] * movingSize[0])
// optimizerScales[10] = 1.0 / (10 * movingSpacing[1] * movingSize[1])
// optimizerScales[11] = 1.0 / (10 * movingSpacing[2] * movingSize[2])

Is this what is done by the SetScaleEstimator() method?

Best,

Luigi