[ITK] Problem with QuickViewDemo on the iOS

Sara Gh sg.ele.eng at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 20:21:51 EST 2016

Hello everyone,

I am new to ITK and VTK. I have been trying to install ITK and VTK on the
iOS for the last three days. I have some problem in getting executable
output from *QuickViewDemo*.

Here are the steps I have gone through from the beginning:

   - Installing CMake-3.4.1.
   - Installing VTK:
      - Download VTK-6.3.0 and store all files in *VTKSource* directory
      - Create another folder as *VTKBin*
      - Open CMake gui
      - Set source path to VTKSource and build path to VTKBin
      - Configure!
      - Generate!
      - Open terminal and go to VTKBin directory
      - run “make” in the terminal
      - run “sudo make install” in the terminal
         - After this step, a folder named *vtk-6.3* is created in
         */usr/local/lib/cmake/*
      - Installing ITK
      - Download ITK-4.8.2 and store all files in *ITKSource* directory
      - Create another folder as *ITKBin*
      - Open CMake gui
      - Set source path to ITKSource and build path to ITKBin
      - Configure!
      - Set *Module_ITKVtkGlue *:* ON.*
      - *Configure!*
         - *After this step, the VTK_DIR is added to the options and it is
         automatically set to: **/usr/local/lib/cmake/**vtk-6.3*
      - Generate!
      - Open terminal and go to ITKBin directory
      - run “make” in the terminal
      - run “sudo make install” in the terminal
      - After this step a folder named *ITK-4.8* is created in
         */usr/local/lib/cmake/*
            - There is a folder named "Modules" in this path which contains
            some files with the format of *.cmake (including
ITKVtkGlue.cmake and
            ITKVTK.cmake).

All of these steps are done successfully without any error.

Now, if I build and make the *RequestedRegion
<http://itk.org/Wiki/ITK/Examples/SimpleOperations/RequestedRegion#ITK_.3E.3D_4>
*example which is only based on ITK, the output object
(RequestedRegion.exe) will be generated successfully.

Also, if I build and make the *Cylinder
<http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Examples/Cxx/Rendering/Cylinder>* example
which is only based on VTK, the output object (Cylinder.exe) will be
generated successfully.

So, I assume that ITK and VTK are successfully installed on my Mac.
However, when I run the *QuickViewDemo
<http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/ITK/Examples/Visualization/QuickView>*, the
executable output is not created! Here are the steps:

   - Create a folder named *QuickSource* containing *QuickViewDemo.cxx* and
   *CMakeLists.txt*.
   - Create another folder named *QuickBin*
   - Open CMake gui
   - Set source path to QuickSource and build path to QuickBin
   - Configure!
      - *ITK_DIR* is automatically set to */usr/local/lib/cmake/ITK-4.8*
      - No options exist with the names of VTK or Vtkglue
   - Generate!
   - Open terminal and go to *QuickBin* directory
   - run “make” in the terminal
      - *Scanning dependencies of target QuickViewDemo*
      - [ 50%] Building CXX object
      CMakeFiles/QuickViewDemo.dir/QuickViewDemo.cxx.o
      - [100%] *Linking CXX executable
      QuickViewDemo.app/Contents/MacOS/QuickViewDemo*
      - [100%] Built target QuickViewDemo

All of the above steps complete without any errors; However, there is no
*exe* file in the QucikBin folder. Instead, there is a file named
*QuickViewDemo.app.*

Does anyone know what is the problem that I have no QuickViewDemo.exe file?

I read in the documents that if I am using ITK>=4 then I just need to build
ITK with Module_ITKVtkGlue=ON. Is there any other thing that I have
forgotten to install?

Sorry for my long email!
I would appreciate any help :)

Best regards,