[ITK] SimpleITK Python wheels?

Matt McCormick matt.mccormick at kitware.com
Sun Jul 31 19:12:14 EDT 2016

>>> The problem with the OS X wheels is that they are too big for pipy at about 75mb. These are still fat binaries of i386 and x86_64. I have not check what pip would do with just a x86_64 wheel but with a fat Python version.
>>
>> I think the pypi maintainers would be OK with increasing the upload
>> size for you if you asked them - I remember matplotlib discussing this
>> with them a while ago (they were a tad over 50M at the time).
>>
>> But - I think it's also completely reasonable to drop off the i386
>> architecture and claim (via the wheel filename) that it's a fat wheel
>> - I built and uploaded an h5py wheel about a year ago for which the
>> i386 execution was segfaulting, but no-one noticed.  I doubt anyone
>> using SimpleITK would use the i386 architecture in the fat wheel
>> either.
>
> Do you know the way to contact the pypi maintainers to make this request?

I added that request here:

  https://sourceforge.net/p/pypi/support-requests/415/

Part of the answer was that an increased size could be possible when
Warehouse goes live, and it is now live.

So, it would be worthwhile trying to upload to warehouse as described here:

  https://mail.python.org/pipermail/distutils-sig/2016-June/029083.html

although the upload URL has recently been changed to
https://upload.pypi.org/legacy/ per

  https://mail.python.org/pipermail/distutils-sig/2016-July/029332.html

If it does not work, then a ping on the issue or distutils-sig may help.

HTH,