[ITK] [ITK-users] SimpleITK - Transform construction

Lowekamp, Bradley (NIH/NLM/LHC) [C] blowekamp at mail.nih.gov
Wed May 11 09:24:11 EDT 2016

Hello,

ITK Transform IO already have an HDF5 format for serialization. Is there a way you can reuse this code? Perhaps using some type of HDF5 utility to merge two files?

More answers inline:

> 1. In the itk::simple::Transform Class Reference it is written that the said constructor is Deprecated. What would be the up-to-date method for constructing a specific Transform?

There was a lot of negative feedback with this method and the base sitk::Transform interface, because it presented all transforms as the same. So the transform specific classes derived from this class are the recommended interface to use. Also you can not create a displacement field with this method. It would be recommended to handle the construction of each transform separately.

> 2. Is there a way of extracting the type of a Transform from an existing spatial transform? I tried transform.GetName() and type(transform).__name__, but both produce ‘Transform’, instead of the specific transform Name.

There should be a method to at least get the TransformEnum, but there are several cases where the underlying transform may be unknown. I’ll add that right away. There is also the ToString method which will print the underlying ITK transform.

HTH,
Brad