[ITK] [ITK-dev] installed ITK cannot be moved due to absolute path

Matt McCormick matt.mccormick at kitware.com
Mon May 23 19:21:39 EDT 2016

Hi Rashad,

It looks like MXE is configured to use system versions of EXPAT, HDF5,
JPEG, PNG, TIFF, and ZLIB:

  https://github.com/mxe/mxe/blob/4135f9b1227ba56b92ceb8a982016370ad5c8894/src/itk.mk#L28-L33

USE_SYSTEM could be disabled for these libraries.

Or, it may be possible for the module system to learn relative
locations of these libraries with ITK_USE_SYSTEM*. But, it would work
best if these projects were configured with CMake, create a
<project>Config.cmake or <project>-config.cmake file, and use relative
paths internally.

HTH,
Matt

On Tue, May 10, 2016 at 5:25 PM, Rashad Kanavath
<mohammedrashadkm at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, May 10, 2016 at 10:50 PM, Dženan Zukić <dzenanz at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Rashad,
>>
>> a few months ago relative paths were completely removed from CMake,
>> because they were never fully implemented. Have you followed recommendations
>> from here for cross-compiling?
>

> Yes. indeed. I had updated the mxe/src/itk.mk for several versions of ITK!
>
> Regarding relative path in cmake, I don't understand.  I didn't use cmake
> specific REL_PATH.
>>

>> As for integrating your changes into ITK, you should submit a patch
>> following the instructions here. If your changes don't break anything, they
>> are likely to be integrated.
>

> issue here is a bit different. For all libitk* stuff the story ends well.
> For thirdparties, zlib, expat etc.. it is good idea to put the full path
> because we don't know if they are in same install directory as ITK or not.
> But this make the installed cmake modules non-portable even to a different
> location on the same disk.
>
> Now if anyone want to provide a distributable setup of ITK. patch the
> generated cmake files with sed and then copy it. This is what I am doing
> right now!
> A simple not perfect solution is to have all thirdparties make
> <LIBRARY>_PREFIX variable inside the ITKConfig.cmake
>
> and for each library we use <LIBRARY>_PREFIX/include and
> <LIBRARY>_PREFIX/lib
>

> Another option is to avoid full path directly inside cmake module files and
> put find_package() calls in the install tree.
>
> As these files are autogenerated by cmake, don't know what is possible.
>

>> Regards,
>> Dženan
>>
>> On Mon, May 9, 2016 at 4:27 PM, Rashad Kanavath
>> <mohammedrashadkm at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello all,
>>>
>>> I have some issue when copying ITK install directory to a different
>>> system. I agree this is not usual and may not appear on a linux distro or
>>> windows.
>>>
>>> My requirement is bit different. I cross-compile ITK and then use the
>>> binaries on Windows. Using dll and headers are fine. But the installed cmake
>>> files are a problem. They have absolute path in ITK-4.8/Modules/*.cmake
>>> files. It is not in all .cmake files even though I put a wildcard there..
>>>
>>> For a easy and quick workaround. I rely on mighty sed command to insert
>>> something into installed cmake file.
>>>
>>> For example see this;
>>> lib/cmake/ITK-4.8/ITKTargets-release.cmake
>>>
>>> set(CMAKE_IMPORT_FILE_VERSION 1)
>>> set(LIB_INSTALL_PREFIX)
>>> get_filename_component(CURRENT_FILE_DIR "${CMAKE_CURRENT_LIST_FILE}"
>>> PATH)
>>> get_filename_component(LIB_INSTALL_PREFIX "${CURRENT_FILE_DIR}" PATH)
>>> get_filename_component(LIB_INSTALL_PREFIX "${LIB_INSTALL_PREFIX}" PATH)
>>> get_filename_component(LIB_INSTALL_PREFIX "${LIB_INSTALL_PREFIX}" PATH)
>>>
>>> and at last:
>>>
>>> $(SED) -i 's,$(PREFIX)/$(TARGET),\${LIB_INSTALL_PREFIX},g'
>>> 'lib/cmake/ITK-$(ITK_VER)/ITKTargets-release.cmake'
>>>
>>> I would like to have this patch inside the other .cmake files in the
>>> installation and avoid the sed commands during post-installation
>>>
>>> Here is the list of cmake files that needs this change.
>>> lib/cmake/ITK-4.8/ITKTargets-release.cmake
>>> lib/cmake/ITK-4.8/Modules/ITKZLIB.cmake
>>> lib/cmake/ITK-4.8/Modules/ITKExpat.cmake
>>> lib/cmake/ITK-4.8/Modules/ITKHDF5.cmake
>>> lib/cmake/ITK-4.8/Modules/ITKJPEG.cmake
>>> lib/cmake/ITK-4.8/Modules/ITKTIFF.cmake