[ITK] Writing a 3D image into DICOM series with correct geometry

Fijoy Vadakkumpadan tofijoy at gmail.com
Fri Jul 7 11:04:11 EDT 2017

Hello,

What is the best way to write a 3D itk::Image to DICOM series in a way that
preserves geometry metadata (slice positions, orientation, and spacing)?

The itk::Image I'm referring to is coming from a non-DICOM source. I tried
to use itk::ImageSeriesWriter with itk::GDCMImageIO as the IO type to do
the above writing. But that does not seem to automatically pick up the
metadata from the image object - when I read the written series back (using
itk::ImageSeriesReader), only the in-plane spacing is correctly set. After
some research, I found this example

https://itk.org/Wiki/ITK/Examples/DICOM/ResampleDICOM

which explicitly sets the metadata dictionary for each slice before
writing. Is this the best way?

Thanks,
--Fijoy