[ITK] Writing a 3D image into DICOM series with correct geometry

Fijoy Vadakkumpadan tofijoy at gmail.com
Mon Jul 10 11:54:26 EDT 2017

Hi Francois,

Even after explicitly setting the geometry metadata before saving the DICOM
series, the metadata is not loaded back when I read the saved image in ITK.
I believe ITK saves the metadata (I can see it when I load the saved series
in ImageJ), but it's just not loaded back.

It seems to me that ITK/GDCM saves the DICOM series under Secondary Capture
SOP class by default, and since the geometry metadata are not mandatory for
this class, ITK just doesn't load it back. When I change the SOP class (see
Stackoverflow post below), the geometry metadata are indeed loaded back.

Do you or anyone else here know if there is another appropriate SOP class
that we can save images coming from non-DICOM sources such that the
geometry metadata are saved & loaded by ITK/GDCM?

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/40462879/image-position-orientation-not-written-when-saving-itkimage-as-dicom

Thanks,
--Fijoy