[ITK] Questions about ITK-Snap gaussian smoothing

Beyer, Benedikt Alexander benedikt.beyer at rwth-aachen.de
Tue Jun 13 09:18:47 EDT 2017

Hi Dženan and Paul,

thank you for the Information about the mesh smoothing algorithm, that helped a lot. Unfortunately I don’t completely understand the source code, since I’m not a software developer.

In the source code you linked it says that the maximum error parameter is ignored, so I assume that the value in the program settings has no effect on the smoothing.
(https://sourceforge.net/p/itk-snap/src/ci/master/tree/Logic/Mesh/VTKMeshPipeline.cxx#l169)

As for the sigma I still don’t entirely understand why the polygon model is not smoothed below a sigma of 0.67.
In the preferences for ITK-SNAP at the 3D Rendering tab, there is a Gaussian image smoothing option. Activating this option will smooth the polygon model of a segmentation for sigma>=0.67.

Also in the source code and documentation there seems to be contradicting information, because in vtkImageGaussianSmooth.h<https://gitlab.kitware.com/vtk/vtk/blob/master/Imaging/General/vtkImageGaussianSmooth.h> sigma is in pixel units and in VTKMeshPipeline.cxx#l166<https://sourceforge.net/p/itk-snap/src/ci/master/tree/Logic/Mesh/VTKMeshPipeline.cxx#l166> it is in millimeters. Which information relates to the 3D Rendering option?

Regards,
Benedikt Beyer