[ITK] [ITK-dev] HDF5 library naming

Matt McCormick matt.mccormick at kitware.com
Wed Oct 11 13:14:17 EDT 2017

Hi David,

On Wed, Oct 11, 2017 at 12:58 PM, David Cole via Insight-developers
<insight-developers at itk.org> wrote:
> I see the difference in release and debug library names for the HDF5
> libraries has already been discussed about a year ago:
>
>     https://itk.org/pipermail/insight-developers/2016-October/024995.html
>
> However, the answer seems unsatisfactory to me.
>
> Why can't ITK install these libraries named according to its own
> convention for 3rd party libraries...? (i.e. -- why is "upstream did
> it that way and we just updated to that" acceptable as a response
> here?)

Because we do not have infinite resources to maintain forks and
support all build systems.

> I use a non-CMake build system consuming ITK libraries where it is
> much easier to deal with libraries named consistently (and using the
> same names for debug and release builds). Especially when you are
> dealing with static libraries only, there does not seem to be a good
> reason to allow this deviation to persist long term.
>
> Would a proposed patch correcting the naming (conforming to ITK
> version naming convention like other ITK 3rd party libs, and named the
> same in Release and Debug) be accepted?

A patch would be accepted assuming that responsibility will be taken
by the author to maintain the fork in the future.

The ITK community is transitioning from this mailing list to discourse.itk.org. Please join us there!