[IGSTK-Developers] State machine architecture

Andinet Enquobahrie andinet.enqu at kitware.com
Thu Aug 18 11:14:27 EDT 2005

Dear all,

The architectural decision of  the state machines in IGSTK boils down to
the question of  whether to integrate the state machines in the base
classes or derived classes or in both ( hierarchical class design). I
had a chance to discuss this issue with David and Luis this week.
Adding state machines into the base class will help to streamline and
enforce derived classes to use the same states and transition conditions
. On the other hand, adding state machines into the derived classes will
create a more flexible and extendable architecture to integrate newly
features  (states, transitions) in the future which might not have been
anticipated during the base class design.  For example, if we would like
to handle trackers from a different manufacturer, we might be having
difficulties with the current  state machine design in the Tacker classes.

I wll be starting to integrate state machines into the Image reader
classes soon.  That is why I thought we would debate on it,  pick one
architecture and  resolve this issue once and for all.

Any thoughts?

Thanks..

-Andinet