[IGSTK-Developers] Questions

Ziv Yaniv zivy at isis.imac.georgetown.edu
Thu Nov 30 16:32:06 EST 2006

Hi all,

A couple of comments/questions about IGSTK (I decided to annoy everyone,
not just Patrick):

0. Why are there only four com ports (enums) defined in the
SerialCommunication class?

1. Why are enums used in the communication classes (SerialCommunication
- baud rate etc., SocketCommunication - SocketUsageType) and not Tokens
that guarantee both type safety and valid values?

2. Why is the tool calibration data read as floats (if I remember
correctly VTK transitioned to double). More importantly, why is the
calibration data read from an XML file as ASCII data and not binary?
ASCII will not reflect the original value in the variables. Running the
"same" program twice , calibration and continue vs. read calibration and
continue, will give different results.

After taking a look at the itk classes for reading/writing transform
files (itk::TransformFileWriter/itk::TransformFileReader) I saw they
have the same problem, data is written in ASCII.

3. Any plans to encode binary data in XML files (like in the "good" old
days when binary data was sent via email after uuencoding it) or is
object serialization in the cards?

4. Why does the igstk::XMLToolCalibrationReader::CanReadFile() method
actually read the file? The side effect of loading the file is then used
in the ToolCalibrationReader<TCalibration>::ParseXML() method.

            thanks
                 Ziv

--
Ziv Yaniv, PhD., Research Assistant Professor
Imaging Science and Information Systems (ISIS) Center

Phone: +1-202-687-2902
Fax: +1-202-784-3479
email: zivy at isis.imac.georgetown.edu
web: http://isiswiki.georgetown.edu/zivy/