[Insight-developers] First crack at usage documentation

Paul Hughett hughett@mercur.uphs.upenn.edu
Fri, 29 Dec 2000 13:01:59 -0500

> I'm willing to use LaTeX but is this a consensus?

I'd be very happy with LaTeX, since that (or TeX) is what I
standardized on several years ago after looking over the alternatives.
(Well, I also use man pages for standalone programs that don't require
extensive documentation.)  Being able to use _one_ tool for both
program documentation and journal articles is a significant advantage
as far as I am concerned.

Let me mention one other possibility: Hire a technical editor, equip him
(or her) will a full set of conversion tools, and let developers write
the original documentation using any of a wider variety of tools.  Then
the technical editor converts it all into a common format, corrects the
English as necessary, modifies to a consistent style, and publishes it.

Paul Hughett