[Insight-developers] RFC: Agressive error checking during compilation?

Paul Hughett hughett at mercur.uphs.upenn.edu
Tue Nov 28 10:58:47 EST 2000

I just fixed a bug in one of my programs in the repository that
involved a misspelled variable name.  The reason that I bring this up
is that this bug would never have made it past the first compilation
in one of my own projects, because I routinely compile with the
optional warnings turned on (gcc -Wall) and the compiler would have
told me there was a problem.  Insight, however, specifies only the
default warnings for gcc.

Perhaps we should enable the optional warnings for the compilers we
use?  I've found the warnings provided by gcc to be very useful in
catching various bugs that would be much more expensive to debug by
hand.  Does anyone think this is a bad idea?

Paul Hughett