[Insight-developers] Regions (a proposed subject for friday tcon)

Will Schroeder will.schroeder at kitware.com
Tue Oct 24 14:53:08 EDT 2000

Hi Luis-

Excellent question and very timely. We will cover it.

You might want to look at itkImage, it has the regions:
   Region          m_LargestPossibleRegion;
   Region          m_RequestedRegion;
   Region          m_BufferedRegion;

This is to support streaming. The largest possible region is the image
(assuming that it could fit in memory). The requested region is that
portion of the image needed for processing in an algorithm. The
buffered region is the portion of the image in memory. Many times
they are all the same, but in memory-limited situations they can all
be different.

Suggestion: look at itkShrinkImage. Jim Miller has nearly completed this
class (it is a multi-threaded implementation using the OS-independent
threading class itkMultiThreader). It makes use of these regions, and
Jim has done a good job of documenting the methods required to support
the streaming.

Will