[Insight-developers] Image Adaptors

Joshua Cates cates@cayenne.cs.utah.edu
Wed, 31 Jan 2001 13:52:50 -0700 (MST)

Hello,

I have some questions/clarifications about the use and support of the
itkImageAdaptor class.  I know that some of this has been covered in the
past, but I'm trying to get a current picture of things.

1. In order for an algorithm to support the ImageAdaptor class, is calling
Get/Set on the ImageIterator required for pixel-level access?  Is there a
way to overload ImageIterator::operator* instead so that the calls to
Get/Set are transparent?  This is a critical issue because it dictates the
standard method for pixel access in all image filtering algorithms
everywhere in the toolkit.

2. How widespread is the support for and use of image adaptors in the
toolkit? Currently, it looks like only itkImageIteratorWithIndex and its
subclasses support it.

These issues have recently resurfaced for me as I am trying to
rewrite/restructure my vector-valued image filtering algorithms.

Josh.

 Josh Cates
 School of Computer Science
 University of Utah