[Insight-developers] affine MI registration - update

Lydia Ng lng@insightful.com
Fri, 27 Jul 2001 09:42:24 -0700

I was able to successfully test some dilation
by modifying the test image pattern.

The original test was a gaussian.
The new test image now has a gaussian in the middle
and some directional pattern in the background.

A coordinate transform is applied to the reference:
new_coord[i] = scale[i] * coord[i] + displacement[i]

The registration tries to estimate the inverse transform:
1/scale[i] and  -displacement[i]/scale[i]

I was able to recover up to 30% anisotropic scaling
(eg. scale = {0.7, 1.0, 1.0})
without making any modification to any registration code.

It starts to fail after 30%. I think this is reasonable -
at 30% the images start the look significantly different.
And we are more likely to get trapped into a local
minimum.

I have tested the new pattern on the single resolution
version as well. It has the same performance -
I will check in the new test after the alpha lock down.

----
Lydia