[Insight-developers] FloodFilledSpatialFunctionIterator

Damion Shelton dmsst59+@pitt.edu
Tue, 05 Jun 2001 15:05:44 -0400

Hi...

> This FloodFill concept seems very similar to the Fast Marching algorithm
> and also the Fuzzy Connectedness algorithm. Both of these algorithms rely
on
> starting from one or more seed points and marching outward while computing
> some spatial function.

Hmmm.... I think I can see similarities between the routines, but I'm not
sure that refactoring would be worthwhile - I assume by refactorize you mean
creating a base or friend class that embodies the idea of proceeding outward
from a seed?

A potential difficulty, I think, is that FloodFilledSpatialFunctionIterator
behaves externally as an iterator while the Fast Marching and Fuzzy
Connectedness are both Image Filters. I don't suppose this is a huge
distinction, but the only common element would be the fill routine, which is
pretty trivial (at least in my implementation). Implementing a general "walk
out from a seed" routine might end up being more complicated than using our
individual implementations.

I'll check-in FloodFilledSpatialFunctionIterator in the next couple of days,
and you can let me know what you think.

-Damion-